Sacred Heart School had its beginnings in the spring of 1925. After permission was obtained from the Archbishop of Philadelphia, the construction of the school began. It was partially completed by late spring and was dedicated by Monsignor Masson of Allentown.
The school was ready for classes in the fall. It contained four large classrooms, an auditorium and stage and living quarters for Father Post, then pastor of the church. The school was placed under the direction of the religious Sisters of Mercy whose motherhouse is in Dallas, Pennsylvania. The sisters resided in the convent, which was built in 1926. In 1964 the convent was completely remodeled and an addition was added. Because of the critical shortage of religious in the Sisters of Mercy Order, the school was staffed entirely by lay teachers since 1970.
In 1986 the large Kinkle barn, fronting on Wabash Avenue, was converted into a second school building in order to accommodate the growing needs of the school. This building is known today as the Father Burkhart Building in memory of Father Edward B. Burkhart who was pastor of Sacred Heart for 44 years. Students in fourth through eighth grades attended classes in this building through the spring of 1996. In the spring of 1996 construction started on the Sacred Heart School and Religious Education Center, an addition to the original school building. Students in grades three through eight began to attend classes in this new wing in September of 1996.
In accordance with the school’s philosophy of integrating religious values with education even in the child’s earliest years, Sacred Heart School established a preschool for three and four year olds in 1985. The 3 Year Old Program was dissolved in the fall of 1995 to allow for a five day 4 Year Old Pre-kindergarten. The 3 Year Old Program was reinstated for the 1999-2000 school term. Kindergarten was also extended to include a full day.